LilyBakes

Look for us on Facebook! LilyBakes. Please "Like" us today!

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Stir Fried Rice and Eggs a la Jessica Seinfeld



I really like Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook "The Can't Cook Book"

She has many delicious recipes that are SIMPLE to make. She walks you through so you feel like a pro and in the end you realize-"Hey, that was easy I totally rocked that!!"  This recipe uses a similar technique to her Huevos Rancheros that I made on August 2nd. (BEST BREAKFAST EVER!) 


Start by making bacon. I always look for Uncured Bacon as Nitrates aren't good for you and it tastes the same as regular bacon.  When done, remove bacon but leave the drippings and the stuff on the bottom of the pan. 


The recipe calls for "leftover" brown rice. I had leftover rice from the Chipotle Rice That I made on August 12th. I hadn't added the Lime Juice to the left over rice so it is just white rice with Cilantro. 


Add rice into the skillet. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and mix. 
Scrape off the bacon bits on the bottom of the pan. (This is not a diet breakfast!) 



Next, add some cleaned, dried Spinach leaves. 
Cover until they wilt (1 to 3 minutes) then fold the spinach into the rice.


Next, make "wells" for your eggs. I made one for me and one for the Tot.  
Cover and cook till the whites are set and the yolks are soft to the touch. (3 to 5 minutes)


Add salt and pepper, crumbled bacon, and enjoy!!


Here is The Tot's plate. She doesn't like "seaweed" (spinach) but she liked the rice and bacon and egg.
While she didn't eat it all, she ate enough that I think she would enjoy it again. (But I'll keep making it with the "seaweed" as I want her to learn to like leafy greens!

COMMENT-I have to say I liked this but not as much as the Huevos Ranchers. Not by a long shot. I think this would benefit from some Salsa or fresh chopped Cilantro (I think everything is better with Cilantro….) It's a good way to use left over rice and I ALWAYS love eggs so I think I will make it again. I don't know why but "Mango Chutney" sounds like it would be a good addition.  (I guess I better learn how to make that…..)





No comments:

Post a Comment