LilyBakes

Look for us on Facebook! LilyBakes. Please "Like" us today!

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Savory Summer Squash Quick Bread


Savory Summer Squash Quick Bread




I was trolling the internet for recipes that use Buttermilk. I have a 1/4 gallon and don't want it to go to waste! This recipe caught my eye. A savory Zucchini bread??? I must try it! 

Here is the link: Savory Squash Quick Bread


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Coat a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with Olive oil. Set aside



Mix together: 

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons dried Oregano
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Whisk lightly to mix all ingredients. 



In a separate bowl:

2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup olive oil

Whsik till smooth




Add in:

2 cups of grated Zucchini
2/3 cup finely crumbled feta cheese



Fold in the ingredients till mixed. Don't over mix.


Fill loaf pan. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes. 
The bread is done when golden brown all over and a toothpick comes out clean. (Test a few areas just in case you get a pocket of cheese)



Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. 
Remove from pan and cool 15 more minutes on a wire rack before serving.






Results?  I have to say this bread smelled pretty amazing as it baked. The Oregano, however made me think of Pizza. I bet if you added some Marinara and cheese this would make for an amazing "crust" 
I'm not 100% sold yet on this bread vs. traditional Zucchini bread. I can't figure out yet what it would taste great with. Do you have any ideas what to pair with a Savory bread?


No comments:

Post a Comment