LilyBakes

Look for us on Facebook! LilyBakes. Please "Like" us today!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Skirt Steak Tacos (with fresh Guacamole a la Jessica Seinfeld)





My stepson spends 1/2 of his summer with his Mom in Arkansas. He got home today and so I wanted to make an awesome dinner for his return. I think this was a winner!
I chose to make Skirt Steak Tacos with fresh Guacamole from my new ""The Can't Cook Book" (Oh Yes You Can!)

First up-make the Guacamole


Here are the ingredients:

2 avocados 
small red onion (I used less than 1/2 of this onion)
Cilantro 
Garlic Powder
Sea Salt

and 
Limes

Chop, mix, mash and then add the juice of 1 to 2 limes (Depending on your taste I used one)
 It's that simple!




I enlisted The Tot to help with this recipe. She did the MASHING!  She also added salt and with help- added lime juice.



GUACAMOLE! Fresher than Chipotle. How can you go wrong? You could even add chopped up tomatoes if you prefer.


The fixin's  Salsa, homemade Guac and tomatoes.


For the skirt steak, rub with salt on both sides and then place in a lidded cooking sheet and use the broiler. (The cookbook also suggests rubbing the meat with Chili powder but we didn't have any. I will have some on had for the next time I make this!)
The cookbook calls for 4 minutes each side but I discovered that was not long enough. 
I actually did about 6 minutes each side. (I think even longer is needed unless you cut the meat into the strips beforehand. Keep an eye on the meat/broiler and cut a slice for your desired temperature.)
Pull out, place on a cutting board and allow it to rest for five minutes.

(I also put some of the strips back in for a few minutes for myself as I like my meat cooked well done.)


Tortillas!
You can serve as is but I like to brush a little Olive Oil on each side and warm then in the oven. 
If you leave them for about 10 minutes they puff up like a "puffy taco"



Taco Party!!
I chopped up more red onion, cut up black olives, and also put out sour cream. I had some leftover "Chipotle" rice that I pulled out and it was perfect on the tacos!!  


Dinner! We ate everything up! This all made enough for the 4 of us. It was delicious and I can't wait to try it again after I buy some Chili Powder!!

And in case you are curious, here is a little interview I found with Jessica Seinfeld regarding her new cookbook.
https://www.onekingslane.com/live-love-home/jessica-seinfeld-cookbook/


No comments:

Post a Comment