Each day they share healthy recipes that your kids will love. I like to try their great ideas.
This is one I made recently- mini Calzones. I was intimidated at first but WOW is it easy!
I love tackling a new recipe and at first thinking it'll be so hard but then at the end of it realizing-I can DO that!! That's one of the fun parts of baking-learnng you can do so much more than you thought.
|Super Healthy Kids|
This recipe creates Veggie Calzones but I made a few of them "pizza" for The Tot.. She ate them right up! I liked both versions-veggie and pizza!
Here's the recipe: Whole Wheat Veggie Calzones
From Super Heathly kids
Whole Wheat Veggie Calzones
- 1 pkg yeast (or 1 Tablespoon of yeast)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water and let set for 5 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients and then add yeast mixture. Let dough rise, in a warm place, for about 30-45 minutes.
- Roll out a small portion of the dough at a time, for mini calzones we use a golf ball size. Roll or press out. Fill middle with filling, thin layer marinara sauce, and a scoop of veggies. Fold calzone in half and then crimp edges with a fork. Set on baking tray.
- Whisk 1 egg white in a small bowl. With a pastry brush, brush the top of the calzone.
- Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Test to make sure dough is done baking by tapping on it. It should sound hollow.
- Let cool slightly and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
|Yeast, sugar and warm water. Rest for five minutes|
In a glass bowl (I just recently learned that when baking bread, you should use a glass bowl-not metal! I had no idea. Luckily, my husband had just bought me this Pyrex bowl so I was ready!)
|Salt, olive oil, white and whole wheat flour|
|The above step after mixing in the olive oil|
|Add in the warm water, sugar mix|
Set aside for to rise in a warm place for 35 to 40 minutes
|The recipe calls for different veggies. These are what I had on hand.|
While the dough rises, get your veggies together. I had on hand carrots, onion, purple cabbage and a fresh zucchini from my garden. Chop some veggies and then puree them in a food processor.
|Mix veggies in a food processor|
Pull out a golf ball sized ball of dough. Roll out on some flour to prevent sticking.
Add some Marinara, shredded Mozarella and the veggies.
Fold over and crimp edges with a fork.
|All lined up and ready for baking.|
Some versions were just the Marinara and Mozarella Cheese for a pizza version.
Yum!! The recipe calls to bake for 10 to 15 minutes. I guess my oven is slow because I had to bake for about 15 to 20. Even these should have been baked a little longer. ALSO, I missed an important step. Before baking coat with an egg wash. The egg wash takes down the flour on the outside. Also, anohter improvment would be to add a lot more veggies. They can hold more filling than I used.
I can't wait to try them again and to add different types of ingredients.
I hope you try them too!
Lily Belle and Coco enjoying a Pizza Calzone in the garden. (Well, Coco is busy monitoring for crumbs or an inattentive Tot….)