LilyBakes

Look for us on Facebook! LilyBakes. Please "Like" us today!

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Winging it-Chicken Broccoli Noodle Casserole

Winging it!
I had a roasted chicken (I like to keep one on hand as you can make many things with it.) some eggs noodles from the Amish in Bainbridge, and a bunch of broccoli.  I couldn't find an exact recipe for what I wanted so I decided to wing it!  Here's what I did and I'll tell you what went well and how it can be improved next time.


Steam 2 to 3 heads of broccoli till just soft. My kids LOVE broccoli so I made all three heads.


Boil chicken broth. Right away I can tell you the casserole was rather salty. Next time I will use unsalted chicken broth. Or, you can use water. I tend to use broth when making pasta or noodles as it adds more flavor but I think I will look into a lower or unsalted version.


I bought these egg noodles at an Amish bakery in Bainbridge, Ohio. The kind in your grocery store work too and if you would like to make them- here's a recipe to do them yourself. (You will not believe how easy they are!!)






I cut up a bunch of the chicken from the Organic Roaster. Next time I make this I will add more chicken!
Once the noodles and broccoli were done, I poured a can of Cream of Broccoli soup into a baking dish. (I wish I had used two) Add the noodles, broccoli and chicken and mix to coat.


Next I had a piece of stale whole wheat bread (I left it out on purpose) and I tore that up on top. I grated some fresh Parmesan cheese. (I can never get enough of this stuff!) on top. Put in the oven at 350 for about half an hour.




Yum!!



There you have it. Made up from my head. Overall it was very tasty. Lily and I each had two helpings and she requested "More broccoli!!"  Next time I will: use unsalted broth or water to make the noodles, add more chicken and a second can of "cream of" soup.

What do you "WING?"  Do you have a creation that isn't really anywhere on a recipe that your family loves? Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment